by Bradley Pelletier -
Number of replies: 7
Techonology Wishlist
In reply to Bradley Pelletier

Re: Technology Wishlist

by Bradley Pelletier -

Weekly 30-1:00 training afterschool.
technology integration / Technology Literacy
Proffesional Release days for technology with options on technology intergration
Technology

Technology training evaluation
Technology surveys to survey staff about technology in technology plan

Payday and pay stubs
Student of the month done through moodle
Modling use of technology
Accredititaion through moodle

Thomas Freedmon world is flat
Peer presentations

Moodle wiki,

Teacher websites

More teachers using websites.

by Nancy Fenney -
I don't know what I don't know, so I decided to ask a parent/staff member and a college grad, and a student in college with a technology bent to comment on what they saw as needed for students, at least, in what our District provides for technology. The parent/staff member wished for continuing workshops (for credit)which enable us to keep up with new applications, especially ones with which students will become familiar. The student in college reminisced about getting to "play around" with programs like Paint and how all students really need to be given a lot more time to "play around" in order to get to know computers well. The graduated (college) student felt that it was important to be fluent in more than one platform. For myself, (I may be ignorant about what we have) I wonder if our art/math-science people are teaching Photoshop or any sort of CAD program to high school students.
Nancy Fenney/Benton

by Terry Hiltz -

Consistent, equitable technology curriculum taught in each school

Reliable equipment and connections

Staff technology development using staff workshop days

Regular technology workshops or open lab after school with tech support

Students introduced to newest technologies

by Nancy Fenney -
Dental claims: why isn't this data in a database available easily to Yvonne who seems to have to go the basement to get it, and then get back to users? Does she need new software, a new computer? Wouldn't it be great if we could access our own account to see what's been used or what's left? NTF

by Sue Lambert -

There seems to be two basic types of technology use in education.  One is the use of technology to encourage, promote, enhance learning of various  subjects such as English, Math, etc.  The other is the training of students in technology....basic functional technology (keyboarding, use of Internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets) and also training and exposure to more advanced technology that may be instrumental in their future career choices and/or may enhance their HS educational experience.

I read through the 3 surveys: Technology Integration Survey, Student Laptop Survey, Asst Supt Survey.  I also reviewed the wish list created by the Parent Group of LHS and some other school websites.  

Administrative Technology: 

Need  buy-in from School Board, Supt Office, Administratives. 

The district should encourage technology use including email communication, and ways to automate some of the paper trails that currently are being utilized i.e. electronic signature, automated email notifiction and automated process of processing leave forms, course approvals, professional day approvals, field trips, etc. 

Student technology work should be showcased at board meetings

Staff Technology:

Need a Technology Integration Teacher at the JH/HS level, not mainly for teaching students but for supporting staff in the use of technology in the classroom.   Could also do specialized classes for students who need advanced technology training.

Technology workshop training days....possibly after school day, possibly before school day, 1 workshop day during the school year.  Have several levels....beginner Excel, Intermediate, etc.  with a description of the types of things covered at those levels. 

Should invite other technology integrators or teachers who have received awards for their use of technology in the classroom to give a demonstration to our staff.

Many teachers requested training on Smart Boards...how about other staff member demonstrations from those who use the boards extensively/creatively.

Other training mentioned often by teachers:  Powerpoint, Excel, database, imovie, gradebook, Moodle, Noteshare. 

Technoloy goals should be part of a teacher's annual goals

Student Technology:

Integrate Technology Standards into the curriculum & goals.

Develop Grade level benchmarks for technology.

Technology club at LHS?

A Technology Integrator to do specialized classes for students who need advanced technology training.

Student use of technology encouraged:  i.e. imovie, creating public service announcements, creating documentaries, music, podcasts (garage band).  See Example section.

Student work showcased i.e. winning projects included on the school website, technology fair integrated with science fair?

Parent/Community Technology:

Continued community access (Adult Ed)

Website content: School Calendars/Updated Calendars (snow day adj), Lunch Menus, Bus Routes updated when changed, Updated Staff lists when changed.  Make sure content is up to date.

Way for parents & community to add themselves to an email list for school cancelations, board agenda & Sports event rescheduling.

Way for parents to have access to student grades, progress, teacher comments, assignments (like other schools are doing with Powerschool).

Handouts and Parent letters available online and/or emailed...way to establish and secure these email lists.

Technology Dept:

Support of technology integration

Develop, Implement & Assess Student Technology survey which is done annually or semi-annualy in order to assess changes in needs and to see if prior identified needs have been improved.

Also, the same as above for Staff needs

Showcase to staff via podcasts or other video recording training, new technology or new software.

Discover, Utilize and implement the best/most user friendly software so that teachers & other staff can keep up with updating the content on their pages and not fall behind because it is cumbersome.  

Offer small group or one on one training for teachers having a hard time implementing the web site for parent/student communication.

Misc Examples of Technology Use:

SmartBoard Use, Laptop use, Powerpoint presentations, web lessons, web resources, overhead laptop projection

English Class:  Word processing, Internet (research)

Math: Graphing

Science: Virtual Disection, NASA studies, being part of an online collaborative to be part of a scientific study.

Business: Investment (some type of Fantasy Investing or Stock Market), Virtual Economics, Student use of Powerpoint, Excel, Database

Art: Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint

Music: GarageBand

Drama: iMovie, iPods, Skits, Documentaries, Public Service Announcements

Health: Public Service Announcements (Drugs, First Aid, etc)

Social Studies:  Google Earth for tours to other countries, Web-based Hisotry documentaries watched on the laptop

Foreign Language: Web-pals in a country that speak the language being taught.

It seems to me that I have seen statistics that show technology related careers being one of the biggest future growth areas....seems to me we should be exposing kids to technology since it may be their future.

Sue

In reply to Sue Lambert

by Jeffrey Jewett -

Wow, very impressive list and at such a late (early??) hour.

WE certainly have much to discuss as a result of your great efforts as I think you have pretty much hit all the key points.

Thanks a bunch  :-)

by Jeffrey Jewett -

A full time curriculum coordinator that has no major "mechanical" responsibilities.

Teacher freedom to: 1) access images without getting blocked by the big, bad stop sign  2) ability to incorporate YouTube into assignments

Major commitment from the administration and board that technology should be at the top of the priority list.  This shouldn't be misconstrued as to say reading and math aren't important, but rather there should be more connection to technological methods of delivery in these areas.  Thought that is was interesting that survey showed 75% had never or almost never used graphs and 80% database.  We need a "Janet Allen"-type commitment in advancing technology

Every teacher, staff and admininistrator read at least the 1st chapter in Friedman's book "The World is Flat"

AND a partridge in a pear tree   :-)